Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Bishop Boland's Resignation Accepted

From the Vicar General's Office/Chancellor's Office
Diocese of Kansas City - St. Joseph
Today, May 24, at 5:00 a.m. Central Time (12 noon Rome time), Bishop Boland’s resignation was officially accepted by the Holy Father. As of this day Bishop Robert Finn is the bishop of the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph. Please now include his name in the Eucharistic Prayer as our bishop.

A Mass with Bishop Boland to celebrate his twelve years as our shepherd is scheduled at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception on Thursday June 23 at 7:00 p.m. All are invited to this celebration. Please extend an invitation to your parishioners through your bulletins.

You may find the official announcement on the Vatican website. You may find Bishop Boland’s farewell statement on our diocesan website.

Bishop Finn has issued the following statement:

When I was named by Pope John Paul II last spring as Coadjutor Bishop of the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, Bishop Boland welcomed me warmly and has been very kind and helpful to me as I had to adjust to a new home and new responsibilities. On this occasion when Pope Benedict XVI has accepted his retirement as fifth bishop of our diocese, I want to wish Bishop Boland every grace and blessing and many holy, happy, and healthy years to come as he continues his Episcopal ministry in a new way. He has my complete admiration and support, and -- I know -- the gratitude and love of God’s people.

As we, the Church in Kansas City-St. Joseph diocese, embark on this next chapter, I pledge my love and service to all God’s flock entrusted to me, and, as I ask your help and prayers, I commend myself and this local Church to Mary, my mother and queen, to our co-patron St. Joseph, and to the mercy of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

No comments: