Friday, May 12, 2006

Catholic School Teacher Fired for Having In Vitro

The schools say [Kelly] Romenesko agreed to follow church teachings when she was hired. One of those teachings was [is] that the in vitro technique was [is] morally wrong because it replaced natural conception.

"I did not know what the Catholic doctrine stated against in vitro fertilization. Yes, I signed a contract, but the contract was vague in my opinion. I didn't know what I was doing as far as in vitro goes that that went against doctrine. My understanding was it was the Ten Commandments."
Where were those who were charged with teaching these things? Was this negligence solely on her part? Are the priests who preached to her at Mass partially culpable? Is the penalty too harsh? Was she, in fact, culpably ignorant? Would her continued employment be a source of scandal?

One can only wonder if the Church's teachings on contraception and other life issues were proclaimed from the pulpit, if this type of issue could not have been prevented.

Romenesko appealed to the school board, but it would not reinstate her. Now a state agency is looking into the case. Meanwhile, the Romeneskos have stopped practicing Catholicism.

"I think the issue here is the fact that Kelly was released from her job for being pregnant, not the in vitro fertilization itself," Eric said. "Our daughters have been baptized Lutheran at this point in time. Kelly and I haven't converted yet."
Sad...

No comments: