Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mental Prayer for July 19-Blessed Are the Poor in Spirit

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: To gain an independence of material things.

The Idea: "Blessed are the poor in spirit" is not mainly a question of starvation or ragged clothes. The word "spirit" tells us this is a matter of the mind and heart. It is an attitude of independence toward material things. It's an ability to have and use things without becoming bogged down in them.

First of all we obviously must be able to leave possessions or people that we like but which are occasions of sin for us. Many, for example, have set their whole hearts upon winning or getting something they want. They are not independent of material things. Some Catholics under persecution even trade faith (and true happiness) for food and clothes.

What is the reward for this independence of material things. "For theirs is the kingdom of heaven"... the kingdom of peace of soul and self possession. And it will begin actually upon earth.

My Personal Application: Have I acquired this independence - God's attitude - toward material things and circumstances? Let me examine some of the above ideas and apply them to myself.

I Speak to Christ: Jesus Christ, who has promised me this happiness, help me to adjust myself to your plans, whether it means success or failure, justice or injury from those I come in contact with, good health or sickness. I don't care how you allow me to be treated, as long as I can serve you.

Thought for Today: "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" (Matt. 5:3).

___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: