Thursday, August 10, 2006

Mental Prayer for August 11-Zaccheus, the Publican

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: I want to feel the urgency and kind­ness of our Lord's mercy toward the sinner and to experience this mercy myself.

Mental Picture (cf. Luke 19:1-10) : Zaccheus, a crook operating within the law, exacting money from people with "taxation" as a pretext. He's curious about Jesus. What does He look like? A crowd surrounds Jesus; Zaccheus is short. He runs ahead, climbs a tree. Jesus sees him, calls him down, says He must stay in his house. People are shocked at this. Zaccheus promptly promises to return his unjust gains. Jesus brings him forgiveness.

My Personal Application: I realize that God may use any means, even insignificant ones, to lead a sinner to sorrow for his sins. Am I aware that my good example or my encouragement may be the means of someone's conversion? Do I have contempt for the wayward man or woman whom Christ wants to save? Or have I prayed for sin­ners sincerely? Do I approach confession with confidence, trusting Jesus to forgive and forget my sins? Am I confident that His mercy watches over my future?

I Speak to Christ : My Jesus, I marvel at your great kindness toward Zaccheus; for you invite yourself into this sinner's house, not caring what people think about it! Certainly you love the sinner; you want to save him. Let me help you do this by my good example and prayers. May I come to you trustfully when I have sinned and rest peacefully in the pardon you have given.

Thought for Today: "The Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: