Saturday, August 19, 2006

Mental Prayer for August 20-Our Lord Foretells His Death

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: Lord, that I may draw strength from your courage.

Mental Picture (cf. Mark 10:32-34): A band of pilgrims strings itself out along the Jerusalem road. They are growing dejected and even fearful. At the head is Jesus. Jesus slows His pace allowing the older disciples to cluster about Him. "We are going to Jerusalem," He says. "There the Son of Man will be betrayed to the Gentiles; and they will mock Him and put Him to death; and on the third day He will rise again." Yet Jesus stead­fastly sets His face toward the Holy City and His doom.

My Personal Application: Could anything better than this picture convince me of the matchless courage of Jesus Christ? He carried out His mission, not at the mere risk of disgrace and death; He knew, and in the least detail, all that would happen to Him. Clearly He says that "they will mock Him, and spit on Him, and scourge Him, and put Him to death." But He did not back down. His is the courage I want to master. Or do I? Do I hesitate, hold back, because I fear the cross? My courage must be in Him: in Jesus I take heart; with Him I accept the cross.

I Speak to Christ: Christ, my Lord, let me find in your courage the strength and generosity that will keep me true in my devotion to you. I need this because your call is not to the spineless or the weakling.

Thought for Today: "Wait patiently for the Lord to help you; be brave and let your heart take courage."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: