Monday, August 07, 2006

Mental Prayer for August 8-Publican and Pharisee

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: Lord, that I may know you; that I may know myself.

The Idea (cf. Luke 18:10-14) : I know well the parable of the publican and the Pharisee. Out­wardly the Pharisee wanted to appear holy. A model of skin-deep perfection, he performed exact­ly the 613 rules of his way of life. But inwardly he was not seeking God; he was seeking only himself. Even if he did not commit the common sins of men, his good works were ruined by vainglory. He really didn't work for other people because he despised "the rest of men." When he gave one-tenth of his income to the synagogue, he had no real use for the poor as individuals. The Pharisee is actually ridiculous. How could a person "stand upright" and brag in the face of God? The Pharisee didn't talk to God. He was only talking to himself.

My Personal Application: Have I deceived myself about my motives? The test of sincerity is personal sacrifices, kindness to the ungrateful, unpleasant tasks without reward or recognition. Do I draw my inner strength from humble prayer, like the publican's? Is my prayer a talking to God, or a talking to myself?

I Speak to God: God, be merciful to me. I am a sinner. You see me for what I am. Don't let me deceive myself about my motives. A lot of crazy ideas run through my mind; temptations to pride, selfishness. You know I'm not all that I try to appear on the surface. Fill my mind with solid motives, with your grace, with your presence. Help me to humble myself now so that I shall be exalted with you in heaven.

Thought for Today: God, be merciful to me; I am a sinner.
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: