Sunday, November 12, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 13, Death, the Most Certain Thing in Life

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, let the thought of death teach me to live as I should, so that I may be prepared to die.

The Idea: Death is the most certain thing in life, and yet the most uncertain. Ask any man the question, "Are you going to die?" No one will answer, no. Yet only the condemned criminal knows exactly when he is to die; and even he might die suddenly, or be pardoned. How are you to die? Quietly? Suddenly? With all the sacraments of the Church, or with no help but the influence of your past life? Will you die tonight? Tomorrow? You don't know for sure. The thought need not disturb you; but it is a good reason always to be ready for death. The important thing is to be prepared.

My Personal Application: Am I ready at all times for death? If I have the misfortune of falling into mortal sin do I immediately make an act of perfect contrition with the intention of confessing it the next time I receive the sacrament of Pen­ance?

I Speak to God: Lord, let the thought of death help me to stay out of sin. If my love for you is not strong enough to prevent me from sinning, let the thought of death help me at least to get back into the state of grace as soon as possible. Let the thought of death make me live closer to you.

Thought for Today: The important thing about death is to be prepared for it.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: