Sunday, November 05, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 6, Occasions of Sin for Me-Companions and Drink

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To see the relationship between companions, liquor, and sin - that I may serve you better.

The Idea: There's no easier way to hell than sexual misbehavior. Many sins of this kind are com­mitted under the influence of liquor or drugs. Every year there are an extraordinary number of highway or other driving-related casualties. Intoxicated or drug-impaired drivers play a huge part in this death and destruction.

It is no excuse to say: "But I committed this sinful act while I was under the influence of alcohol or drugs. And there is no real sin if you don't know what you're doing."

Know­ing beforehand, as you did, that drunkenness or taking drugs might well result in that sinful act, and allowing yourself to get drunk or impaired anyway, makes you respons­ible for that sin - in addition to the sin of drunkenness or deliberately clouding your mind with drugs!

Rarely will I get into such difficulties except whem I am with certain companions. Is this my problem now? If not, it is bound to arise some­time. What is to be my attitude? What safe­guards will I take?

I Speak to God: 0 Lord, help me to know myself, my weaknesses and capacities, and what circum­stances are dangerous for me. Let me prudently avoid companions who may influence me to drink immoderately or otherwise impair my mind, thus preparing me to sin further by impurity and damage to others. Fire me with such a love and loyalty for you that I may never knowingly put myself into an occasion of sin.

Thought for Today: Keep loyalty to God foremost in mind.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: