Monday, November 06, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 7, Occasions of Sin for Me

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: O my Savior, impress upon my soul your own attitudes toward modern shows.

The Idea: Ed lay awake staring at the ceiling in the moonlit room. He could have kicked himself. It was his own fault, of course. He knew what kind of movie he was taking Alice to. In fact, he had thought it might furnish the right mood. He had enjoyed the movie - especially several suggestive scenes. And now he was miserable.

Let's not think that Ed's problem (or Alice's) was just the heavy petting. Ed went to the movie to enjoy it, knowing quite well that what he wanted to enjoy was the suggestive sequence splashed all over the advertisements. He sinned by deliberately putting himself in the occasion of sinning against purity.

My Personal Application: Let me examine my conscience regarding the movies, shows, and TV programs I have enjoyed. What do I look for in them? Do I check decency ratings? Do I feel that the ratings are useless or old-fashioned? Do I realize the obligation I have of forming a right conscience on these things that might be dangerous for me?

I Speak to Christ: I know, dear Christ, that it takes not only a pure heart, but humility and courage as well, to form and follow a right conscience about such entertainment. Strengthen these virtues within my soul that I may avoid all such dangerous occasions from now on.

Thought for Today: Use entertainments insofar as they help me, avoid them insofar as they hinder me from my goal.

__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: