Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 9, Why Does It Happen to Me?

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: O my God, help me to see your divine wisdom in allowing temptations.

The Idea: A soldier that soldiers themselves ad­mire the most is not one who has had soft duty behind the lines, but one who has been in the very thick of battle. They respect the soldier who has fought hard with the enemy, been wounded and battered and remains unconquered. He has been tested and has proven himself, not by loud boast­ing in the barracks, but by sweating it out under fire of the enemy and by accomplishing his mission.

God has called everyone to His service. And in that service He certainly wants each of us to be a hero. He desires to give us eternal life with Him in heaven. But we have to pass many tests of courage and endurance; these are temptations. Every day we all must fight against the temptations that come from the devil, from ourselves, and from all the circumstances of the pagan world in which we live.

My Personal Application: Do I accept temptations as a normal part of life? Or do I complain to God that He asks too much? Isn't it true that the more combat duty I have in His service, the greater His help, the greater the rewards? Do I surren­der easily? Or do I really put up resistance? Call upon our Lord now for help; explain to Him how I want Him nearby when temptations come.

I Speak to God: "Our Father... lead us not into temptation"... but when I am tempted help me to fight courageously, to skirt the enemy, or to retire safely, but never to surrender. You know how weak I am, but if you allow this temptation, I know you will also make it possible for me to win.

Thought for Today: "My grace is sufficient for thee."
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: