Thursday, December 07, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 8, Feast of the Immaculate Conception

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Let me understand how your Im­maculate Conception should affect me.

The Idea: When I recall that Mary was free from the moment of her conception from all stain of original sin, I understand what is said - but does this have any effect on my life? Mary is my mother. She was conceived immaculate because of her divine Son - but her motherhood of me is also affected by her sinlessness.

When I came into the world, I was dead to real life, sanctifying grace. At Baptism I was "born" to this life and, in a sense, Mary became the Mother of this life of mine. Does it mean nothing to me that my mother is completely without sin? A child naturally resembles its mother; at birth the resem­blance is slight, because the child has hardly begun to live - but the resemblance grows as the child grows older, and soon it begins to imitate and acquire even the habits and mannerisms of its mother. How should I resemble Mary? In her sinlessness.

When we want to get a picture of Mary, we think of the words of the Apocalypse: "A woman clothed with the sun" ; the meaning is clear if we remember that "darkness" stands for sin, and "light" for sinlessness - Mary, the supremely sinless, immaculate one.

My Personal Application: My response to this mother of mine will be, first, to keep all darkness, stain, sin, out of my life. But most importantly, I will imitate this sun-clad mother and her Son - ­the Light of the world - in living my act of con­secration to her, and by heeding the call to apos­tolic action: "So let your light shine before men that they may see your good works..."

I Speak to Christ: Lord, I thank you for giving me this great gift - your Immaculate Mother. Fill my soul with this light which is really life so that I may ever more and more be like your Immaculate Mother.

Thought for Today: O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.
_________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: