Friday, October 26, 2007

Meditation for October 27, Supernatural Attractiveness

A young girl who later entered the Institute of Marie Reparatrice wrote, after having been reproached for too serious an exterior,
"I will avoid an exterior that is somewhat severe or in any case a little too serious. God lives in me; I ought to be radiant. My God, help me to do everything with good grace, to be amiable, to be appealing, to win hearts for You; help me to be well loved, esteemed, sympathetic, if it be Your will, so that others may recog­nize that it is You alone who has made me so attractive, and that they will be drawn to love You. May Your Presence in me inflame the souls who approach me."

This prayer, which was not meant for publicity at all, is the expression of a simple soul. The following year this brief indica­tion shows the results obtained: "Monday: Mademoiselle D. has guessed my secret. . . . Am I not then like the others?"

And then again: "I must be good to let God shine through my heart. . . ."

And finally this line: "I am struggling against whatever is not You, my God."

And I, on the contrary, do I not struggle against God? Have I not, after noble efforts in the beginning of my religious life, let my old self show through, especially my grumbling, moody, unfriendly and dull old self. I must have enough faith to rise above it to charity; I mean, I must believe enough in the Divine Presence within me to ask Him alone to shine through me. Then I will be supernaturally attractive.

"My God, grant that I may grow in grace in every respect, in supernatural depth and in radiance."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: