Sunday, November 02, 2008

Just for Today, November 3

Oh, now exceedingly necessary is Thy grace for me, O Lord, to begin that which is good, to go forward with it, and to accomplish it! Without it I can do nothing: but I can do all things in Thee, strengthened by Thy grace.
-Bk. III, ch. lv.
_______________

You told me to feed your lambs, as Our Lord once said to St Peter (she was novice-mistress in all but name). I was astonished, thinking myself incapable, and begged you to feed them yourself, allowing me to be of their number. Giving way to some extent, you named me first amongst them, rather than their mistress.

How is it that my youth and inexperience caused you no anxiety? There are few souls on earth who do not measure God's omnipotence by their own limited ideas. The world will have exceptions everywhere, but denies God the right to make them. It has always been the way of men to assess experience by length of years, for the youthful Psalmist sang: I am very young and despised (Ps. cxviii, 141). But in the same psalm he says: I have had understanding above ancients: because I have sought thy commandments. Thy word is a lamp, and a light to my paths. I am ready and am not troubled.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: