Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Bishops to Scold Some "Catholic" Politicians?

The Salt Lake Tribune reports this and the Associated Press, this.

I must have missed this last night as I was watching/recording the re-airing of the U.S. Bishops' meeting in Washington. This certainly was not in the morning session and the afternoon session was to be replayed about 2:00 or 2:30 CST. I hope I have it recorded.

"In a freewheeling discussion reflecting years of concern, some bishops suggested that the church should consider punishments ranging from denying honorary degrees to elected officials, refusing to allow them to speak at Catholic institutions, or even excommunicating them."

I'm not sure how denying an honorary degree to a defiant "Catholic" politician who proudly promotes abortion is really going to effect a change of heart in these people. I understand that excommunication is a 'medicinal' remedy that encourages one to repent and seek reconcilation with the Church. Considering the gravity of the scandal that pro-death politicians perpetrate by their outright rejection and repudiation of the moral teachings of the Church, I am often at a loss why so little has been done to address this.

They quoted one of my favorite bishops:
"It's a constant source of scandal that the most prominent pro-abortion people are Catholics . . . who seem to go unreproved," said Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz of Lincoln, Neb.

I hope, if this is indeed true, that the fruit of this endeavor comes more quickly and with better results than with the "implementation" of things like 'Ex Corde Ecclesia'.

No comments: