Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Parishioner upset over Fr. McCumber's Vocation Appeal

“Encourage the young people in your parish to consider religious vocations, especially to the priesthood.” Thus ended Father McCumber’s short appeal as he began his homily. I looked at my daughters, aged 14 and 20 and wondered if he meant that I should encourage them to consider the priesthood, or if he meant that they weren’t people.
This begins a article from the Spring 2004 newsletter from Catholic Action Network - a group which advocates "women priests".
So how does a priest encourage young men to enter the priesthood without putting down young women? There certainly is a need for priests, no one can deny that. Had Fr. McCumber said “encourage the young men” he probably would have heard from me that women have many talents to offer the church.
I think everyone realizes the talents women offer to the Church. However, those talents do not include a calling to the ministerial priesthood.

Father McCumber is director of the Office of Worship for the Archdiocese of St. Louis. I wonder if he was sent a copy of the newsletter?

CAN Newsletter here.


No comments: