Tuesday, October 12, 2004

We want some attention, too!

Clamor over Burke's words drowns out other voices of faith
By Katherine Hawker

Yesterday's story in the editorial section of the Post included this complaint that the Post was paying too much attention to Archbishop Burke and not enough attention on what other "religious leaders" had to say.
I am a pro-choice Protestant clergywoman
Should this be an oxymoron, if it isn't already?
who campaigned this summer against Missouri's Amendment 2 (which banned gay marriage),
Natural Moral Law?
and as such I read Burke's thesis as reported in the Post-Dispatch with care. I disagree with many of Burke's premises, and I strongly disagree with his conclusions. Like many people of faith, I am appalled at his conclusion that some "evil" is more "intrinsic" than others.
Basic Moral Theology 101...I can understand why she would refer to herslef as "protestant" - and no offense meant to "Protestants".

How can one claim to be representative of Christian "clergy" when one rejects basic moral law? But this realy isn't the reason shw wrote:
...I am deeply troubled that the only such story in town seems to be Burke. My own denomination has an eloquent leader who has been speaking forthrightly and receiving no press attention.
There is more to the article here.

No comments: