Tuesday, February 22, 2005

A Great $1 Flea Market Find

What was it? "A Brief Text-Book of Moral Philosophy" by Rev. Charles Coppens, S.J.

Somewhat regularly, we make the journey to the Belleville Flea Market. My wife looks for things that a woman normally looks for, I suppose - things which I would rarely, if ever, notice. I, on the other hand, look for religious books and religious articles, such as crucifixes, statues, rosaries, medals, pictures, and the like.

Once we enter the building in which all the vendors have assembled and set up their wares, we decide upon a time and place to meet, when we think we will be finished. I have two primary places to which I go first, ignoring everything else as if it did not exist: the first table I look for is one hosted by the Legion of Mary. Ususally, they would have some older Pre-Vatican II missals, a few older prayer books and bibles, some crucifixes, and medals. I could always find something which, for a small donation - they did not sell anything - I could pick up and later give to someone who might need it. Crucifixes, rosaries and prayer books make great gifts for people, especially Catholics who either don't have one or need an extra one or two for other family members.

Unfortunately, I have not seen them (the Legion of Mary volunteers), for the past few months. I miss them very much.

Since I am on a mission from which I am not to be distracted, I head directly to stop number 2, a used book merchant who has boxes upon boxes of books. I have been able to pick up a number of treasures here for a dollar or two. Many of the books and tapes from this seller have been instrumental in my study of the faith:

Ludwig Ott's "Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma",
Blue Army Tapes with Fr. John Hardon and other excellent speakers,
A book of the writings of St. Augustine, another of St. Thomas Aquinas,
Fr. Hardon's "The Catholic Catechism", and numerous other books.

This past trip of treasure hunting was not yielding great results, but I did find "The History of Herodotus" and "The Examined Life, Readings from Western Philosophers from Plato to Kant" - not exactly Catholic but, perhaps, useful, nonetheless.

After making these two stops, I always slow down and look at what other vendors are selling, of course, keeping my eyes open for other "treasures" I might find. Having recently acquired Fr. Hardon's "The Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan", I especially try to recall the numerous recommended books and authors from that book.

I passed a bookshelf for sale which had all sorts of books, and I was able to find one which looked to be fairly decent. It is the book named above by Fr. Coppens. It was in very good shape, especially considering it was printed in 1924.

Even better, it is a clear, concise, and easy to understand book. The Preface states, in part:
This "Brief Text-Book of Moral Philosophy" is a companion to Coppens' "Brief Text-Book of Logic and Mental Philosophy." The author's aim is to present to students and readers - to such, especially, as are unfamiliar with the Latin language - a brief yet clear outline of Ethics taught in Catholic Colleges, Seminaries, and Universities. (my editorial comment: our Church and our nation would be much better off had the institutions of higher learning not abandoned books such as this)
...
Extravagant notions of individual and social rights are circulated, while the rash specualtions of so-called scientists are sapping in many minds the cery foundations of morality. Never before has there been a more urgent call on the part of the people fot the lucid exposition and the correct application of sound moral principles. (my emphasis)

In this small confusion of thought, no small utility will be found in a clear, simple, systematic explanation of the ethical doctrines taught be the greatest minds of the past ages, and most highly recommended by the illustrious Pope Leo XIII. Such an exposition the author has endeavored to present in this volume.
I have found this book to be a great resource, especially in being able to more fully understand those things which, before, were not quite clear. If our Lord permits, I will, at some point, share some of the beauty that is contained in this treasure.

No comments: