Monday, October 23, 2006

Mental Prayer for October 24­, I Caused Christ's Suffering

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Dear Jesus, let me see just what my sins did to you.

Mental Picture: The many-tailed whip falls again and again on His bare back till the blood trickles down in crimson streams. He grits His teeth to keep back the cries that swell in His throat. His head snaps back with the pain as the crown of thorns is driven into it. He winces with humilia­tion as the crowd shouts, "Let Him be crucified! Give us Barabbas!" His agonized body staggers and wavers beneath the weight of the huge, rough cross. His face plows into the dust as He falls. Kicks and lashes rain on His body. Stretched on the cross He feels the nerve-tearing pain of spikes driven through His hands. Hanging on the cross... His tortured body one mass of unbear­able pain... His ears ringing with the taunts of the jeering crowd... Christ looks sadly on those He had come to save.

My Personal Application: My sins caused all this! Christ feels most keenly the sins of us who are consecrated to Him in the name of His Mother, just as we would feel much more hurt if struck or jeered at by one dear to us. Do I see now what sin really is? Ask our Lord to give me His knowledge of sin!

I Speak to God: Forgive me, Jesus, for what I have done to you. Give me a loathing for sin that I may add no more to your sufferings. Have mercy, dear Jesus!

Thought for Today: When tantalized by sin, picture Christ suffering.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: