Saturday, February 24, 2007

Mental Prayer for February 25, The Sister and God

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, give me the realization of how a religious sister's whole life is dedicated to love.

The Idea: The sister moving among the patients of her hospital ward, the sister patiently coaxing knowledge into young minds and hearts, the sister walking serenely down a busy city street, the sister in silent prayer before the tabernacle. The sister is a modern miracle of grace. People of all sorts, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, recognize in her a complete and immediate dedication to her God. In her, woman's natural instinct for a life of dedicated love finds its highest expression. So true is this that the slightest spark of malice in a sister can cause far greater dismay than it would even in a priest or brother. For all men recognize the fact that a sister lives a life of unselfish and total love.

My Personal Application: What is the one thing I want my life to be if not a continual act of love? Not everyone should be or even wants to be a sister. But do I? Should I? and if not, do I see in her life, dedicated to love, something I can use in my life? Do I understand the sister's life well enough to explain it to a non-Catholic, to a Catholic parent who refuses to let his child be a sister, to anyone?

I Speak to God: O my God, let the idea of a dedicated life soak into my mind. I don't want my life to be a selfish or a cheap life. If you want me in religious life, take me. But in whatever life I choose, may it be dedicated, like a sister's, to love of you and service of men.

Thought for Today: "Let us therefore love, be­cause God has first loved us."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: