Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Mental Prayer for February 6, Act I:I Don't Give Alone

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To see the teamwork in the Mass.

The Idea: Orate fratres - "Pray, brethren, that my sacrifice and yours may be acceptable to God, the Father almighty."

The priest prays this way at the end of the Offertory of the Mass. But to whom does he refer when he speaks of "your sacrifice"? Obviously he's speaking primarily to the congregation; it is the people's sacrifice. But it has an even broader meaning, for it extends to all Catholics, to all the members of Christ's Mystical Body.

But how can the sacrifice of the divine Victim be also our sacrifice? The answer is that, in the words of Pius XII, Christ offers to His heavenly Father not only Himself "but in Himself His mystical members as well." At Mass we never pray alone; we pray with the Church and in union with Christ.

My Personal Application: Do I think of the Mass as merely a private and personal prayer of my own or as a matter of teamwork with the rest of the congregation - and even with the rest of the Church on earth? Do I take an active part in the dialogue Mass when I have the opportunity?

I Speak to Christ: Divine Redeemer, help me to realize the meaning of the Mass as the sacrifice of your Church here on earth. Help me to do my part both at Mass and during the day in union with the Mass throughout the world as part of the teamwork of the Catholic world - to adore, to thank, to make reparation for sin, and to beg your blessings in union with my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Thought for Today: "Though many, we are one body in Christ."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: