Monday, March 19, 2007

Mental Prayer for Tuesday After the Fourth Sunday of Lent

Jesus Is Captured: Judas

The Passion of Christ-Its Meaning

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: A deeper understanding and love of Christ - and sorrow with Christ in sorrow, who is going to His death for my sins.

Mental Picture (cf. Matt. 26:41-50): Night... the shadowy grove of olive trees... in the distance the white houses of Jerusalem and the golden roof of the temple glimmer in the moonlight. The Apostles are asleep; Jesus is praying. Into the garden comes Judas at the head of a band of soldiers. He walks right up to Jesus and points Him out to them by a sign of friendship... such a hateful hypocrite, a coward, a traitor! Jesus begins to speak: will He damn Judas on the spot for such treachery? He begins: "Friend..."; Christ is calling him friend. Then He says, "Judas, don't you realize the terrible thing you are doing in betraying me? Judas, stop and think! Repent before it is too late." Desperately our Lord tries to save Judas... He forgets about the wrong done to Himself; He is thinking of the harm Judas is doing to his own soul.

My Personal Application: What went on inside Christ when Judas turned Him over to the sol­diers? Not to abandon a friend even when he abandons you or betrays you, is a mark of tremen­dous, disinterested love. Such was Christ's love for Judas. Such is Christ's love for me, too, for I have betrayed Him each time I have sinned.

I Speak to Christ: Dearest Lord, how can I help but admire you when you show yourself such a true friend? How wrong I've been, like Judas, to betray you by my sins. Help me to do better - ­I will do better - from now on.

Thought for Today: "He was betrayed into the hands of sinners."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: