Thursday, August 23, 2007

Meditation for August 24, Gathering Pearls

Until the very end of her life, St. Jane Frances de Chantal wished to apply herself to the lowliest tasks of the convent, as the rule prescribed for all the religious; for example to wash the dishes; to sweep the halls to serve in the refectory.

The evening before leaving Annecy for Moulins - she was then seventy years old, just four years before her death - she was sweeping the con­vent in obedience to the assignment given her that day. A sister who was waiting at the door with some urgent letters for the saint, seeing her gather the dust with remarkable solicitude grew slightly impatient, although she was truly edified, and remarked: "Well, Mother, it seems that you are finding pearls; you gather up that dust so carefully."

"I am piling up more than that," answered the saint, "if we knew what eternity is, we would esteem it a greater privilege to gather the dust in the house of God than pearls in a worldly home."

There is an old expression, gems in our crown. And the most brilliant diamonds are actions that are ordinary in appearance, but to which I apply myself with great love.

Perhaps it happens that when I am assigned certain occupations, above all material occupations, I think that I am treated badly; that I could do something else. Then let me recall St. Jane Frances de Chantal and her sweeping.

Great actions or small actions, all in the last analysis are only dust. Things vary only according to the idea I have of them. To write a letter, to prepare a spiritual conference, to decorate a chapel, to nurse an invalid, to prepare or give a class - all in the eyes of God, are nothing more than pick­ing up dust "with feathers tied together," as Mother de Chaugy used to say.

My God, teach me to see realities with Your eyes.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: