Monday, February 04, 2008

Meditation for February 5, True Values

According to the author of the Imitation of Christ, It will always be a mark of pettiness to esteem as great any other good but the sovereign good. (B. iii, 31).

In an analogous sense, St. Ignatius of Loyola said: How vile the earth seems when I contemplate heaven - and St. Paul more forcefully still: I count all to be but loss for the excellent knowl­edge of Jesus Christ my Lord; for whom I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as dung that I may gain Christ. (Phillipp. iii, 8.)

It would be an insult to God and His Providence to infer that the created world is evil and absolute nothingness. Our Lord Himself invited the Apostles to contemplate the beauty of the harvest; the lilies of the field, the birds of the air, the flames mount­ing from the vats of oil installed on the ramparts during the feast of the Tabernacles. All that is great, all that is beautiful comes from God and brings God to us. Coexistent with the created world is the uncreated world; with the visible world, the invisible. In comparison with the second, what is the first? What is the splen­dor of Niagara Falls in comparison with the triumphant flow of grace washing sin from the soul?

George Goyau calls the Mass "the greatest event in human history"; who looks upon it as such? Nevertheless he speaks the truth. For my part, I must compel myself to direct my life by these invisible realities, so that all else is as nothing to me.

"Lord, I have left all to follow You, and that which I called 'my all' had its value and meant something to me; but now I consider it as noth­ing, since I have found You, Jesus, You are 'my All'."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: