Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Just for Today, September 24

I am poor and in labours from my youth: and my soul is grieved even unto tears sometimes. Thou alone art true joy, Thou my hope and my crown, Thou my gladness and my honour, O Lord!
-Bk. III, ch. I.

Thou impartest unto them much consolation, to sup­port them in their many troubles; and Thou liftest them up from the depth of their own dejection, to the hope of Thy protection; and Thou dost re-create and en­lighten them interiorly with a new grace.
Thou art pleased to deal thus with Thy elect, to the end that they may truly acknowledge and plainly ex­perience how great is their infirmity when left to themselves, and how much they receive from Thy bounty and grace.
-Bk. IV, ch. iv.
_________________

I received the veil on September 24, a day all veiled in tears. My father was too ill to come and bless his queen; at the last moment Mgr Hugonin was prevented from performing the ceremony, and several circumstan­ces combined to make it a sad and depressing day. Yet there was peace in my cup of sorrow. Our Lord willed that I should not be able to keep back my tears...and they were misunderstood. I had been through much greater trials before, dry-eyed, with the help of grace, but this time I was left to my own resources, and proved how weak they were.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: