Sunday, May 10, 2009

Principles and Practices - May 11

Liberty

When God becomes my one thing needful, He also becomes my one sole Lord. I know that when I become anyone's slave to obey him, I am the slave of him whom I obey, whether it be of sin, unto death, or of obedience, unto justice. Now I am made free from sin, and am become the slave of God only. What do creatures matter to me? What do happiness or sorrow matter, peace or suffering, abundance or want, honour or contempt, health or sickness, life or death? What do they matter? None of these things are my necessary end, I am free from them all, above them all.

-Very Rev. J. Tissot.
_________________
From Principles and Practices
Compiled by Rev. J. Hogan of The Catholic Missionary Society
Published by Burns Oates & Washbourne Ltd., Publishers To The Holy See
Nihil Obstat; Eduardus J. Mahoney, S.T.D. Censor deputatus.
Imprimatur; Edm. Can. Surmont, Vicarius generalis.
First printed in 1930

No comments: