Monday, December 28, 2009

Patience - December 28

Patience
Thoughts on the Patient Endurance of Sorrows and Sufferings

THE HOLY WINDING SHEET


Jesu dulcis amor meus

Jesu! as though Thyself wert here,
I draw in trembling sorrow near;
And, hanging o'er Thy Form Divine,
Kneel down to kiss these wounds of Thine.

Hail, awful brow! hail, thorny wreath!
Hail, countenance now pale in death!
Whose glance but late so brightly blazed,
That Angels trembled as they gazed.

And hail to thee, my Saviour's side;
And hail to thee, thou wound so wide:
Thou wound more ruddy than the rose,
True antidote of all our woes!

Oh, by those sacred hands and feet
For me so mangled! I entreat,
My Jesu, turn me not away,
But let me here for ever stay.

-Tr. Father Caswall.
____________________
Compiled and Edited by Rev. F. X. Lasance
Author of "My Prayerbook," etc.
1937, Benziger Brothers
Printers to the Holy Apostolic See

No comments: