Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Patience - January 27

Patience
Thoughts on the Patient Endurance of Sorrows and Sufferings

AN ACT OF CONFIDENCE IN GOD

by Father de la Colombiere, S.J.

My God! I believe so firmly that Thou watch­est over all who hope in Thee, and that we can want for nothing when we rely upon Thee in all things, that I am resolved for the future to have no anxieties, and to cast all my cares upon Thee.
"In peace in the self-same I will sleep and I will rest; for Thou, O Lord, singularly hast settled me in hope."
Men may deprive me of wordly goods and of honors; sickness may take from me my strength and the means of serving Thee; I may even lose Thy grace by sin; but my trust shall never leave me. I will preserve it to the last moment of my life, and the powers of hell shall seek in vain to wrest it from me. "In peace in the self-same I will sleep and I will rest."

Let others seek happiness in their wealth, in their talents: let them trust to the purity of their lives, the severity of their mortifications, to the number of their good works, the fervor of their prayers; as for me, O my God, in my very confi­dence lies all my hope. "For Thou, O Lord, singularly hast settled me in hope." This confi­dence can never be vain. "No one has hoped in the Lord and has been confounded."....
[continued tomorrow]
____________________
Compiled and Edited by Rev. F. X. Lasance
Author of "My Prayerbook," etc.
1937, Benziger Brothers
Printers to the Holy Apostolic See

No comments: