Monday, January 04, 2010

Patience - January 4

Patience
Thoughts on the Patient Endurance of Sorrows and Sufferings

THE UNIVERSAL BROTHERHOOD


Our Lord has revealed to us the universal bro­therhood of mankind. He has shown by His teaching that in the sight of God all men are equal, possessed of immortal souls, heirs of an et.ernal kingdom and children of God. The poor and the suffering are no longer to be despised, human life is to be held sacred, and we are all bound together by the golden chain of brotherly love. "By this shall all men know that you are IVly disciples if you have love one for another," for "a new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another as I have loved you."

Now love is not sentiment or mere emotion. If it be real, it means action and service and sacrifice. And St. Paul has put this aspect of the law of love very strikingly when he says: "Bear ye one another's burdens, and so you shall fulfil the law of Christ."

Life is to be filled with sympathy and mutual help, our Lord looking on the while and giving us His blessing. Now we see at once by these words that we are meant to be helped by one another: we are meant to speak of our burdens and of their weight, we are meant to show our wounds to a physician, not to lock up the cham­ber of our hearts and stow all our burdens with­in, there to lie badly packed, uncomfortable, and finaIly to break down the spirit of the sufferer. Not to all should we speak of our burdens: not perpetually should we ask from others: we must always help ourselves to the best of our ability; but from some, in due season, to ask for such an alms is a duty.

Of course we must not flinch from some bur­den, nor give all to others to bear; but resolutely to say "I will keep all to myself, I will trouble no one, I will keep my heart firmly locked," is a dan­ger and a delusion. Is there anything of this in you? Do you make a point of bearing all in silence, or do you allow St. Paul's fair words to be illustrated in your conduct?

O my God, from my heart I thank Thee for this light; from my heart I thank Thee for the gift of friends whom I can and ought to trust, and who are willing and able to help me.

But I love Thee, O, Lord, with my whole heart and above all things, Sacred Heart of Jesus, I put my trust in Thee.
____________________
Compiled and Edited by Rev. F. X. Lasance
Author of "My Prayerbook," etc.
1937, Benziger Brothers
Printers to the Holy Apostolic See

No comments: