Sunday, May 16, 2010

Marriage and Parenthood, The Catholic Ideal

Beginning today, I have a new (old) book which I hope will benefit all Catholics and others. It deals with families, children, parenthood and marriage. Fr. Gerrard discussed the sad states of affairs at the time (100 years ago - and how much worse off are we today?), and how the Church guides us in such matters so that we may be in union with the will of God.

Following are the chapters of the book as well other pertinent information. A note from the author on the Revised Edition is included. Tomorrow we will begin with the introduction.

Chapters of the book:
1. INSTITUTION AND PURPOSE
2. THE SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE
3. CHOICE OF A STATE
4. CHOICE OF A MATE
5. MIXED MARRIAGES
6. BETWEEN HUSBAND AND WIFE
7. CONJUGAL RESTRAINT
8. BEFORE AND AFTER CHILDBIRTH
9. THE BLESSINGS OF MANY CHILDREN
10. BETWEEN PARENTS AND CHILDREN
11. SEXUAL INSTRUCTION FOR THE YOUNG
12. CATHOLIC EDUCATION
13. THE CATHOLIC FAMILY
MARRIAGE AND PARENTHOOD
The Catholic Ideal


BY THE REV. THOMAS J. GERRARD
AUTHOR OF "CORDS of ADAM," "THE WAYFARER'S VISION," ETC.

Nihil Obstat
REMIGIUS LAFORT, S. T. L., Censor

Imprimatur
JOHN M. FARLEY, D.D.
Archbishop of New York

New York, January 19, 1911
Copyright, 1911, by Joseph F. Wagner, New York.


NOTE TO REVISED EDITION

I BEG to express my grateful acknowledgments to the large number of clergy, medical men, and parents who have so kindly favored me with most valuable criticisms and suggestions. And I de­sire to make special mention of Surgeon-General Maunsell, C.B., who as President of the Guild of Sts. Luke, Cosmas, and Damian, has been able to secure for me such a wealth of expert opinion.

Here and there I have been unable to follow even a very weighty authority, not, however, because I set my own judgment against it, but because it appears to me to be outweighed by a consensus of equally grave authorities. Some few ideas, too, I have decided to omit as pertaining rather to an­other book which I have in preparation on the attitude of the Church towards the Eugenic movement.
THE AUTHOR.

No comments: