Wednesday, February 09, 2005

A conversation with unknown parishioners

After Mass this evening, we were scheduled to have our pictures taken for the Parish Directory...This was the reason I was so late in getting the news about the threat against Archbishop Burke.

While we were sitting there waiting to be called, we engaged in some limited chit-chat with the couple next to us. The woman inquired about being a "Eucharistic Minister" and I kept my mouth closed rather than ask her if she really meant an "Extraordinary minister of Holy Communion". I, naturally, let my wife handle the questions since she is the parish secretary - and - I have been trained really well!

Her husband then said something about the Archbishop and St. Stanislaus - actually, it was an underhanded dig at the Archbishop which I found offensive and out of order, especially considering he did not know who I was. I replied that the facts of the case have not been presented in their entirety in the Post. My wife, sensing that I was not at ease with the conversation then proceeded to ask them how long they have been parishioners.

The woman stated that they had become members about a year and a half ago after getting permission to change parishes from their priest from a parish down the road in the next town - they live outside the boundaries of our parish. The husband then said something to the effect that had "Burke been here, we wouldn't have been able to do that!"

I responded that the laws of the Church permit this and that Archbishop Burke certainly would not have any issues with it, since it is lawful and quite permissible...I remained friendly despite the negative tone and attitude this man had toward Archbishop Burke.

Few people would, in public, denigrate or disparage their own fathers. What persons would speak ill of his own father in public? Those of us who are baptized have, in reality, a closer bond with our brothers and sisters in the faith than we have by blood. I am offended when another speaks untruths about my father, be it my real father or my spiritual father. And Archbishop Burke is our spiritual father, at least for many of us here in the Archdiocese of St. Louis, and I'm certain, in many other places as well.

Regardless of the respect or lack of respect one gives to his bishop, he must, at least, give sufficient thought and reflection on the Fourth Commandment of the Decalogue. All that applies regarding the obligations of obedience and respect of children toward their parents, also applies in principle toward our spiritual fathers, especially one's bishop. This is especially true when one's bishop exercises the his duties and obligations as required by his office, which is, in a certain way, very similar to those obligations which parents have toward their children.

This is how I understand the Church's teaching on the subject and why I become distressed at the multitude of attacks toward Archbishop Burke, especially when they come from Catholics who fail to see him as their spiritual father. Perhaps, it is too simplistic a view but I can see no reason to complicate a matter which is so fundamental to the life of the family of God...

No comments: