Saturday, February 25, 2006

Patrick Madrid debates Bishop Thomas Gumbleton on gays in the priesthood

This is a two part streaming audio and post on Patrick site here.
How weird it is that I, a layman, had to debate a Catholic bishop on the issue of the problem of homosexuality in the priesthood. It's weird because I was defending the Catholic Church's perennial teaching about this issue and Bishop Gumbleton was taking the position that there being homosexuals in the priesthood is not a problem.

It was a brief debate, all of 20 minutes (including commercial breaks), but it was enough time to see the two massively different approaches to this issue that Bishop Gumbleton and I took.
I have not yet listened to these MP3's yet, but I can imagine that Gumbleton never stood a chance, taking a position contrary to the Church. We must continue to pray for him and for all those led astray by his heterdoxy.

No comments: