Thursday, July 06, 2006

Mental Prayer for July 7 - Behold the Lamb of God

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: To understand Christ as the Lamb of God.

The Idea: The Jews knew that sheep died a soundless death. They sacrificed lambs to worship God. That's how they understood the prophecy of Isaias about the coming Savior: "He was offered because it was His own will, and He opened not His mouth. He shall be led as a sheep to the slaughter" (Is. 53:7).

From the first moment of His public life Christ is pointed out as the Savior who will lay down His life for all men. John the Baptist points Him out to his followers saying, "Look, there goes the Lamb of God!"

My Personal Application: I know, but do I realize, that Christ's life was given to save me? Lamb means sacrifice. And here lamb means Christ was sacrificed willingly and silently.

How do I accept the irksome things in life?...the misery of a cold?...passing up a good time for needed study or work?...fighting constantly for holiness?... accepting the unfairness or rudeness of others?... willingly and quietly in return to Christ?

If I want to understand Christ, I have to suffer with Him, especially in making the sacrifices necessary for carrying on His apostolic work... giving my time and energy... laboring to become an intelligent, capable apostle.

I Speak to Christ: Jesus, help me see that you suffered willingly and quietly because it was for me. You said that if I would be your disciple, I must take up my cross daily. I want to be your disciple, but I need help and courage to accept suffering. Help me take what comes, just today, willingly and quietly because it will be for you.

Thought for Today: "Behold the Lamb of God."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: