Sunday, August 20, 2006

Mental Prayer for August 21-Recalling the Transfiguration

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: That I may come to realize that Christ is my God, who can do all things, who can fill me with tremendous peace and happiness at any time.

Mental Picture (cf. Matt. 17:1-8): A soft, sum­mer afternoon...Galilee...a high mountain top...Christ praying...Peter, James, and John sleep­ing...then awakening. There is a dazzling white light... Christ shines like the sun... His garments are white as snow! The three Apostles are filled with tremendous joy, deep peace, complete hap­piness. Peter cries out, "Lord, it is good to be here." Suddenly a brilliant cloud covers Christ; the Apostles fall to the ground, covering their eyes. A voice is heard saying: "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased. Listen to Him." Then silence. The Apostles look up and see only Jesus.

My Personal Application: It is hard being a Christian day after day, year after year. Christ, our King, never said it would be otherwise. "Whoever desires to come with me must share my labors," but He continued, "that he likewise might share my glory." Here He gives the Apostles and ourselves a glimpse of what His glory is. But do we always have to wait till judgment day for relief from the dullness of life? He has also said, "Come to me all you who labor and are burdened, and I will refresh you." He can give me more peace and joy in one minute than I can find in a lifetime.

I Speak to Christ: Christ, my Lord and my God, let me find my happiness by keeping close to you. Give me a taste of your peace and joy here, as a slight reminder of the overwhelming joy that you have prepared for me later.

Thought for Today: "Lord, it is good to be here."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: