Monday, September 11, 2006

Mental Prayer for September 12-Prayer of Generosity

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Dearest Lord, teach me to be generous.

The Idea: At the end of a summer full of God's good gifts to us, and at the beginning of a new school year and the autumn season, we on our part could do no better than to pray to God with the prayer for generosity used by St. Ignatius Loyola:

I Speak to God:
"Dearest Lord, teach me to be generous. Teach me to serve you as you deserve; to give and not to count the cost; to fight and not to heed the wounds; to toil and not to seek for rest; to labor and ask for no reward, save that of knowing that I am doing your will."

Lord, show me how I can serve you as you should be served, in a way that is worthy of God. Show me how I can give to you whatever I have - ­talents, wealth, time - and not figure up how much it is costing me. Show me how I can keep fighting under your banner without worrying about the suffering it involves. Show me how to work hard and forget about watching the clock for quitting time. Show me how to work and keep working for you without worrying about what I am going to get out of it. All I ask as a reward from you is the realization that I am doing what you want me to do.

Thought for Today: "Dearest Lord, teach me to be generous."
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: