Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Mental Prayer for September 21-Parish Spirit

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, help me to understand what parish spirit is and to contribute my part gener­ously.

The Idea: Just as a spirit is needed for the life of a body, so is a spirit needed for the life of a parish community. It does not exist automatically. It grows and matures through the effort of each individual parish member. My contribution in supporting a parish activity may be small or it may be great, but whatever the share is, I know that this parish is a part of the Catholic Church, the Mystical Body of Christ. What I do to make this a better parish, I do in God's service. To show my love for Christ and His Church I should work with others in promoting every single parish ctivity or project, whether this is for a parish school, catechesis, publications, mission drives, pro-life activities, evangelization efforts, or any­thing else.

My Personal Application: Have I ever realized that my small contribution to parish life helps the work of the whole Church? Have I failed in engancing the parish community because of laziness?... because I was afraid to be a leader?... because I was too proud to be a helper?... because I could not cooperate with others? Does my selfishness hurt the whole parish? Then it should make me feel very small! What will I do in the future!

I Speak to God: When I think of all the good things that have to be done, my God, and of the little effort and time and interest, I have given, I feel ashamed. Help me to overcome my selfish attitude and to work along with others in my parish - and the Church. And bless us in the work we try to do for you.

Thought for Today: 0 Lord, help me to work hard with my brothers and sisters and for my parish community; through me let others be encouraged to do the same.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: