Friday, October 20, 2006

Mental Prayer for October 21-Sin and My Happiness

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: My God, make me realize that my real happiness lies in serving you and avoiding sin.

The Idea: As a youth, St. Augustine enjoyed every immoral pleasure available to a hot-headed, well­-to-do man of leisure. St. Camillus de Lellis had been a soldier, experiencing the life and vices of rough men-at-arms. Both knew full well the joys and fun that sin offers. Yet, once they came to know God intimately and to taste the happiness that union with Him presents, they wept bitterly to think of the years they wasted in sin. They saw sin for what it really is: a delusion that ultimately brings only shame, misery, and sorrow.

My Personal Application: Remember how terrible I felt when I did something I was truly sorry for? If only that impression could stay with me; sin never brings real happiness! What shame and remorse I feel after I have sinned when I see a crucifix.

The more I sin, the more I build up habits that will bind me like heavy chains. When I shall want to break them, I shall not be able to. My whole existence becomes a living hell. I loathe myself; I'm ashamed to appear before decent people. Do I realize how sin destroys my whole purpose in living and makes me only the loser for it? I don't gain happiness, rather I lose it, by sinning.

I Speak to God: Let me never think sin is smart or fun or that it doesn't really matter. I don't want to love myself or any creature more than you. But I am weak. Dear Jesus, fill me with your strength and your love.

Thought for Today: Lord, let your friendship be my true happiness!
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: