Saturday, November 11, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 12, Temptations Against Faith

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Christ, source of truth, teach me how to handle temptations against faith.

The Idea: How can God be present in a tiny host? How can Christ be man and God? How can any­one be sure that Mary was taken into heaven, body and soul? These things are important; my life depends upon them! But I can't under­stand them! Do we expect God's infinite truth to be so small that our tiny minds can fully grasp it? If we could completely understand, where would be our faith? Even the Pope will never know the full meaning of what God knows and does. We believe "Because thou hast revealed them, who can neither deceive nor be deceived."

My Personal Application: Truths like Christ under the appearance of bread, Christ being man and God, are real. I must ponder them. Every effort I make to understand will bring a little deeper knowledge and love for God's things. But I can never know them completely. His truths are more mysterious, yet no less real, than His vast solar system and the billions of stars in His universe. But I will never be able to solve com­pletely these truths of faith.

I may be tempted to deny your teachings, Lord, and those of your Church. But you are worthy of belief. For you proved you are God by your life and miracles. Help me to keep the" Act of Faith" prayer in memory and to use it when needed.

I Speak to God: My God, I shall believe whatever you say in Scripture and through your Church. I know that you are all-wise, and that your mysteries and marvelous ways are often hidden from my weak human mind. But I believe, because you can neither be deceived nor ever deceive me.

Thought for Today: Lord, increase my faith!
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: