Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 23, A Daily Examination of Conscience

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Help me, O Lord, to practice the daily examination of conscience faithfully.

The Idea: A wealthy businessman felt he had been neglecting his employees but saw no way of im­proving conditions. A priest advised him to ride the trains to work instead of driving his car. In the morning he could plan the affairs of the day; riding home in the evening, he could examine the failures and successes of that day. The results did wonders for his workers and for his own soul.

I should make for myself a similar rule and make every effort to follow this sound advice for my soul. This daily rule tells me to examine my conscience each evening so that I can see where I failed that day. Going over the various duties of the day, I check on my performances and resolve to avoid some particular fault or practice some virtue the next day. This practice, with the act of con­trition afterwards, helps me go forward in the service of God and makes confession easy.

My Personal Application: Have I taken this rule seriously enough? Do I realize that the daily examination of conscience is one of the most important 'rules' of my day? Do I follow it? Do I recall the duties of the day to see where I could do better? Am I truly sorry for my failures?' Am I really honest with myself?

I Speak to God: What a help, O Lord, I have in this rule of daily examination of con­science. I thank you for this blessing. Help me to practice it more faithfully than I have been doing, that I may know myself better, and so love and serve you better.

Thought for Today: The better I know myself, the better I'll know God.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: