Thursday, November 23, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 24, Why I Am Sorry

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To understand and have true sorrow for sin.

The Idea: In a past survey students were asked what would stop them from crime. The first answer: the disgrace to their family! Isn't something wrong here? What about God? Are crimes not sins - offenses against God?

I can never leave God out of the picture. When I go to confession, I at least have to be sorry because I stained my soul, failed in my promises to God, threw away heaven and merited hell. This is imperfect contrition. Enough for forgiveness, but... As a Christian aiming at perfection (real love and imitation of Christ), don't I want something better? Shouldn't my aim be perfect contrition? This means being sorry for my sins because they offend my all-holy, all-loving, all-merciful God.

The easiest way to reach perfect contrition is to look long and prayerfully at the crucifix. God did this for me! He loved me this much! "No greater love hath any man than to lay down his life for his friend." How good God must be in Him­self! Indeed God is Love (Deus carita est)! Then I think how terrible it is that I should offend Him.

Perfect contrition is not a matter of feeling bad. There need be nothing at all emotional about it. The important thing is : do I realize that I have offended my all-loving God? Do I see how wrong this is, so that I can truly say, "This is why I am sorry"?

I Speak to God: Help me so to grow in knowledge and love of you that I will see sin for what it really is - and thus come to a deep, true sorrow for having offended you - you, who are so good, so kind and merciful and holy.

Thought for Today: I'll study sin - at the crucifix!
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: