Sunday, December 17, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 18, Loyalty to My Ideal

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To understand what is meant by loyalty and how necessary it is to my life of following Christ.

The Idea: What is it a soldier has that sends him into the middle of the battlefield? What is it that keeps a mother at her work no matter what? What is it that will keep me true to my King even when it is difficult? Loyalty - not an emotion - ­not a feeling - nothing sentimental nor romantic - ­but a type of loyalty that means dedication. This is a real personal "attachment" to Christ. To be "all taken up" with Him, Christ my leader, my model. My loyalty to Him makes me follow Him - makes me keep the rules He has set up for me. The opposite of loyalty is treachery, because if I am not loyal to a person I should be loyal to, I am a traitor. It is this kind of loyalty that keeps my eyes on Christ. This is a personal dedication to Christ my King.

My Personal Application: How is my loyalty? How is my dedication to my King? Is it active in me - actually forcing me to form my life after the pattern of Christ? Do I think in these terms? Do I desire to model my life after Christ's? That is the test of my loyalty - do I really want to follow Christ?

I Speak to Christ: My King, I know that without this loyalty, this personal attachment to you, I cannot for very long continue to imitate you. But I want to live the dedication I promised you. Help me with your graces.

Thought for Today: Loyalty to Christ means a life like His.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: