Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Mental Prayer for March 8, Glories and Obligations of Parenthood

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To be willing to bear the obligations of marriage so as to share in the glories.

The Idea: When we have something that we treasure very much, there is no length to which we will not go to protect and conserve it. Mar­riage gives us two great treasures: love of husband and wife, and new life that will people heaven.

But many hard things will be required of us to preserve those treasures. Many sacrifices will be asked: hard work, selflessness, understanding, patience, self-discipline, self-denial. In return we receive the reward of love, peace, and joy. In children we see the results of hardship and train­ing and sacrifice blossom forth in new citizens for heaven and earth.

My Personal Application: Do I want the glory without the toil? Do I have the character to sacrifice selflessly out of love? Can I bear dis­appointment without discouragement? Do I have the emotional maturity to restrain myself, to do when I don't feel like it? Do I have a sense of responsibility that others can depend on? Can I be faithful to duty, just because it is what God wants of me?

I Speak to God: Dear God, teach me to know myself. Help me to see my faults and weaknesses. Yes, Lord, the glories of married life are wonder­ful, but let me see whether I have the character to work out of love and leave the glory to you.

Thought for Today: Lord, teach me to know myself.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: