Sunday, August 26, 2007

Meditation for August 27, Canvassing Offices

In general, those who are really made for the superiorship do not desire such official and ornamental offices at all. They know the value of things and recognize nothing as nothing, and that men, however great or insignificant they may be, are only vain and valueless. Besides, as a general rule, they do not even dream that others might think of them, so far are they from losing time in these trivialities.

Certainly not with any intention of discrediting a member of the priesthood, for she understood too well the dignity of the priest, but merely to avoid wounding her daughters by using an example taken from their circle, St. Theresa cited the example of a member of the clergy of her time. He was certainly very zealous but was not exempt from vanity; he was, besides, an orator of merit.
"He preaches with the intention of making himself useful to souls, but he has not renounced entirely certain human advan­tages; he is not free, before his audience, of a certain desire to please those who will be able to give him homage and renown: let us say rather that he is angling for a canonry."

The evil was not great and St. Theresa must have said it all with a playfulness that made the trait seem very trifling.

If I find it so petty on the part of others to seek an office, ought I not begin first of all to rid myself of the least leaning toward vanity that I might inwardly experience? In whatever state I may be, I will not aspire to honors, and I will accomplish well the duties of my own station, in order to make the burden of office easy for the superiors on whom I depend.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: