Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Meditation for August 29, The Art of Disappearing

There is not perhaps an example of more profound humility than the example given by the foundress of the Religious of the Cenacle, Rev. Mother Couderc.

At thirty-three, she resigned the generalship, and for nearly fifty years she obeyed like an ordinary sister. It was only at the end of her life that anyone around her understood the extraor­dinary favors with which the Lord had showered her, and how united she was with God. Cardinal Lavigerie, stopping at a convent where she was stationed, asked the superior, "Who is that religious? "

"She is one of our old Mothers," answered the Superior. She was in reality the soul of the Congregation. Through her love of God, her patience and her goodness, through her humility perhaps still more, she supported her whole institute. Today there is talk of beatifying her. [Pope Paul VI canonized her in 1970.]

And I? Do I easily accept being put on the shelf? If on account of age, or for a better distribution of services in the house, it is necessary to cut down or modify my activity, is it not an affair of state; must not the superiors ponder long in order to know how to make me accept their decision? If it is necessary to point out to me an imperfection, or a mistake, or to suggest a pro­cedure that is better, must they not put on kid gloves, as the saying goes?

Did I enter religious life to remain so sensitive? Should not my superiors be able to speak straightforwardly to me; to take away something I have used; to change my occupation without needless precaution?

I am nothing. Let them treat me as they wish. My God, teach me the art of disappearing.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: