Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Meditation for December 19, Disencumbered

When Joseph and Mary asked for shelter at Bethlehem, they were rejected. There was no place for them; all was filled; the inns were crowded.

My soul is like those crowded inns where a motley throng of useless thoughts jostle about.

Is not my difficulty in thinking of God occasionally due to the aimless, untimely imaginings with which I fill my mind?

How could there be place in my mind for reflection on essential things when my memory concerns itself with useless thoughts only?

Ought I not disencumber my mind?

At times my tasks occupy my whole attention. That does not mean that since I cannot be pre-occupied with God, I may leave the door of my mind open to any thoughts that present them­selves, even such as may be entirely foreign to the work at hand.

I must think of what I am doing in order to do it well. But I should not entertain profane thoughts when divine thoughts could replace them. I must of course apply myself with my whole heart and mind to my duty. If my work does not occupy my mind, I should think of God. He has the first right. I will therefore disengage my thoughts from what is not of God or of His will for me.

"Today in particular, O Beloved Word Incarnate, as I recall the dis­tress of Joseph and Mary when they sought a place in the inns and were refused, I wish to give You a better prepared and more loving place in my soul. I wish to be more recollected, to live more in You and with You deep in my heart."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: