Thursday, December 20, 2007

Meditation for December 21, Within My Heart

The Magi and the shepherds had to travel a great distance to find the manger; I have only to look within my soul.

In our morning prayer occurs the expression: "Let us place our­selves in the presence of God and adore Him." Strictly speaking, this is unnecessary, for I am always in the presence of God. What the words really suggest, however, is that I realize God's presence and make myself present to Him.

Concurrence is necessary to union. God is present in me in vain if I am not there, if I am perpetually absent. I have only to take the trouble of going where God is, then contact, union, conversa­tion, and proofs of love become easy.

May my last thought at night and my first thought in the morn­ing be for this living Presence in the manger of my soul, this thrice-holy God who does not even leave me during sleep! I will prepare my heart and soul for a loving meeting, a radiant comrade­ship! He, the Lord who is ever vigilant, awaits me. His heart calls me. And I?

How far I am from my God who is so near! May He ever remain in my soul!

"O Jesus Incarnate! You come to dwell in me with Your human Body each time I receive Communion, and Your presence lasts as long as the Sacred Species remains. Though this human-divine presence is brief, You remain with me every moment of the day. Through sanctifying grace, You live in my soul as the Divine Word conjointly with the Father and the Holy Spirit."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: