Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Meditation for December 27, The Beloved Disciple

What a beautiful gesture of abandonment! The disciple leans upon the Master's bosom!

How indescribable the mercy of the Good Master! How unlim­ited the confidence of St. John!

The guests at the Last Supper did not seat themselves at table as we do. They reclined on couches, the head supported on the left arm, the right hand remaining free to take the food from the table when the host gave the signal. I can imagine Jesus reclining with Peter at His left and John at His right, needing only a ges­ture to attract the beloved Apostle to His Heart.

Mauriac, in describing this event, said simply but forcibly: "This shoulder which was to be weighed down by a tree, a gibbet, received, at that moment, the living weight of a head."

I shall often respectfully but affectionately rest my poor, sad head on the shoulder of the Master, when temptations assail me and I feel I can withstand them no longer. I will rest my frivolous head on the shoulder of the Master to learn the great lesson of the Redemption and I will hear more clearly the beating of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. When my head has become heavy with age, I shall, in lieu of active service, rest it on the shoulder of the Master, humbly trusting that it will be for Him a lighter burden than the cross.

"Numquam separari a te. Never permit me to be separated from You, Lord. Not only will I never leave You, but I will advance more and more in respectful and constant intimacy."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: