Sunday, January 20, 2008

Meditation for January 21, He Hath First Loved Us

The words of 8t. John are addressed to all men: Not as though we had loved God, but because He hath first loved us. (John iv, 10.)

How much more is this true of the religious soul.

I did not yet exist and God had already thought of me. He thought of me not only as one of His potential creatures, but as a spouse whom He would call to His special service.

When I came into the world He surrounded me with attention. I was born into a family in which the spirit of Catholicity reigned. Others, from their childhood, saw only bad example and forgetful­ness of the essential truths of life. From the very beginning I was led into the way of truth.

Later, when I reached the use of reason, God enlightened me, He assisted me, and prevented me from faltering. I was not in­fluenced by bad example or harmful conversations. How many interior inspirations I received; how many exterior helps!

My education brought to light again all the graces I had received. Then came the call. How moved I was at first! Was it possible that God wanted me in His service? What abundant assistance I received when nature recoiled before impending sacrifices.

And in spite of all, the persistant voice, so gentle, so firm, whis­pered, Come, Daughter of God.

I left the world. And since then, what an accumulation of graces! It is too much; I shall never be able to make a fitting re­turn. As soon as I wish to give God a little love, I see that He has anticipated me. He is always ahead of me. He wins at every turn. He is always first.

"Lord, teach me, not to surpass You in love, but not to fall too far short of what You expect of my love."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: