Monday, March 03, 2008

Just for Today, March 4

Thou, O most sweet Lord, art bountiful to me above all desert, and above all I dare hope or ask for. Blessed be Thou, O my God; for though I am unworthy of all good, yet Thy generosity and infinite goodness never cease to do good.
-Bk. III, ch. viii.
_________________

It is not only trials that Our Lord makes me foresee and desire. For a long time I had cherished the hope of having a priest brother, but this seemed an impossibility, for, having lost my little brothers I could never have this happiness. And yet, God has even gone beyond my desire of having a priest brother who would remember me every day at the altar, for He has united me by spiritual bonds with two of His apostles.

This is how it came about. My first brother was given to me as a feast-day present by our Mother, St Teresa, in 1895. I was very busy in the laundry, for it was washday, when Mere Agnes de Jesus, then Prioress, took me aside and read me a letter. It was from young seminarist, who wrote that St Teresa had inspired him to ask for a sister, who would devote herself to praying for him and the souls who would be under his care. On his part he promised to remember the nun chosen every time he said Mass. I was chosen to be his sister, and the joy that filled my heart at thus seeing my hopes realized was unlike anything I had felt since my childhood, when joy could be too overwhelming for a little heart to contain. I had never known such happiness for years; it was as though a stringed instrument long forgotten once more vibrated to the touch.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: