Sunday, March 02, 2008

Meditation for March 3, The Use of Grace

Previously we read a pressing invitation from St. Paul to the Corinthians exhorting them not to receive the grace of God in vain. (II Cor. VI. 1-10)

The Apostle enumerates the conditions necessary to the efficient fulfillment of one's duties so as to act in all things as a true servant of God. The conditions St. Paul lays down are the following:

Patience, in tribulations, in necessities, in distress, in stripes, in prisons, in labors, in fastings;
Chastity, sweetness, charity, fortitude and justice;
Poverty, and joy in poverty, need and absolute destitution.

These are priceless virtues; they are austere virtues.

How am I to acquire them? Or if I already possess them in some small degree how am I to increase them?

The season of Lent is a time of preparation for Holy Week. Is it not the acceptable time to meditate on the Passion? Without neglecting other devotions, I will devote myself until Good Friday to thoughtful meditation on the Sufferings of our Savior. Many of its aspects will escape me, but I will penetrate thoroughly those at least on which I do meditate. I am so cowardly when con­fronted with even a slight sacrifice or the simplest demands of religious life. I will take courage from the example of my good Master.

The whole world claims my thoughts. Redemption through suffering is not for me alone but for all. How few profit by it! I must incite myself to participate more efficaciously in the salva­tion of the world, to be a more significant help to Christ. I will adopt the program of St. Paul in Epistle to the Corinthians and reolutely set myself to the task.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: