Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Just for Today, April 10

If thou wilt be delighted in truth, and receive more abundant consolation from Me, behold, in the contempt of all worldly things and in the renouncing of all those mean pleasures thou shalt be blessed, and an exceeding great comfort be derived to thy soul. And the more thou withdrawest thyself from all comfort in things created, the more sweet and the more powerful consola­tions thou wilt find in Me.

But thou shalt not at first attain to these without some sorrow, and labour in the conflict. The old custom will stand in thy way, but by a better custom it shall be over­come. The flesh will complain, but by the fervour of the spirit it shall be kept under.

-Bk. III, ch. xii.
_________________

I remember that I suffered such violent temptations as a postulant to indulge myself and enjoy a few drops of happiness, that I had to hurry past your cell, and to cling on to the banisters to prevent myself from retracing my steps. There would come into my mind all sorts of permissions that I could ask, a hundred arid one pretexts fot giving way to Nature. Now happy I am now that in the beginning of my religious life I mortified myself on that point!

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: